Friday, October 1, 2010

Follower Spotlight: Sew Happy Sew Crafty

I am so excited for my second Follower Spotlight.  What is follower spotlight?  Its my way of saying thank you to all of your for following my blog.  I randomly pick one person each month (or more) and spotlight their blog.  Today's spotlight is April from Sew Happy Sew Crafty .  I asked April a few questions and here is her response.

1. Tell us a little about yourself, your blog, etc.
My name is April, I’m a 29yr old ( 30 in nov) mom to 2 wonderful kiddos, my son B is 5 and loves everything Thomas, coloring, Cars, and anything that make him think outside the box, C our little red headed diva is 2.5 she is such a blessing and has taught me about strength and determination. Being a mom is the most rewarding challenging job that I have ever had, I never thought that I would have a special needs child and I have learned so much about myself and my family from our experiences. I have been married to my best friend for almost 10 years (Sept 30,2000) and don’t know what I would do without him in my life. My husband is a local firefighter, landscaper and safety team member at the local speedway he supports my decision to stay home with my babies and does everything in his power to support all my many adventures.


2. Why did you start your blog?
I started my blog in early 2009 when C was at the top of all her medical appointments I found myself overwhelmed, exhausted, frustrated, and needing something to focus my energy on that was positive and rewarding all the same. Blogging became a way to meet new people other moms with children with Medical problems similar to C, other moms who knew how hard it was but yet understood everything I was going thru as a mom and wife. I love being creative and trying to make what I can because handmade is always more personal and as far as I’m concerned just better than store bought. I have loved reviewing products, hosting giveaways, sharing my family moments, crafts with my kiddos, and just Great lasting moments with my blogging family.


3. What inspires you to create?
I began my sewing business in 2008 after C was diagnosed with her first near death SIDS episode, Failure to Thrive, Severe Apnea, and blue spells, In June of 2008 when she was placed on a feeding tube, Sewing was my way of channeling my energy to something positive it made me focus on something other than the negative that was going on in my life at the time. I found refuge in my creativity and found that I loved the joy it brought not only to me, but to my family, friends and customers. We have been thru pure hell as a family from the not knowing, to the waiting, to frustrations and lots of questions for many doctors with no answers, Crafting, sewing, and embroidery became my saving grace. I found that the more detailed a pattern was or the depth a project had the more relaxed I felt because there wasn’t any other thing to focus on just that particular task at hand. We have since received a diagnosis of Apraxia, Sensory Processing disorder w/anxiety she also has a history of seizures, not reacting to pain and some other various medical things. I find that making something out of nothing somehow brightens not only my day but someone else’s.


4. What are a few of your favorite posts on your blog?
And anything else you want included. This is about you so I'm up for whatever you want added. I'll also be browsing your blog and share a few of my favorite posts.

One of my favorite posts would be probably Yard Sale treasure I was proud of my hubby for finding this great bed, but also proud of myself for refinishing it, and words can not describe how proud I was of B for giving away so many of his toys to goodwill. We have a philosophy in our house that before birthdays and Christmas we get together with our kiddos and sit down and explain that there are children less fortunate than them, that might not have a house, a bed or even toys to play with and they might not have a mommy and daddy or grandparents, aunts, uncles that buy them there every hearts desire so they need to go thru their toys and donate to children less fortunate than them. B was so proud of his new bed that he got rid of toys that he still played with because Santa would bring him something else for Christmas something nice for being so generous, We try to instill good core values and I feel donating gently used items is important for not only there character but for them to give away something of there’s to other children is much more meaningful that Mommy cleaning out there closet. When we redid his room that day he got rid of 10 lawn and leaf bags of items, from clothes, to toys, chairs, and various other items. He told me mommy there are other little girls and boys that need these toys more than me.


One of my other favorite blog posts would have to be sewing away the stress, because it shares with everyone that I’m a Mom, Wife, friend, human and my stress level sometimes is greater than I can even handle and finding my creative flare has made the bad days more manageable, and I find myself making or creating the best items when my stress level is high.

First I want to thank April for taking the time to answer these questions.  She is so inspiring and I am amazed at how much she does.  She really is like super mom. 

Here are a few fun things you will find on her blog.
Piggy Candy Jars are so cute.
and southern banana bread-yum!

She also does tons of review like
a pattern for this bag
and this adorable outfit.
Now stop by Sew Happy and Sew Crafty.  Thanks April for letting me spotlight your blog and for following my blog. 


2 comments:

Mom vs. the boys said...

love reading about other moms and how they got started blogging! what an interesting story

Crafty Mom said...

Thanks Crystal, You are too sweet. I have a few things Im working on for the fall so stay tuned for some fun giveaways.

April
www.sewhappysewcrafty.blogspot.com

Little Reminders



Related Posts with Thumbnails